Kutztown Area School District places a high emphasis on academic success from our student athletes. We believe that student participation in athletics has a direct correlation with student success in the classroom.
Kutztown Area High School is a member of the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association (PIAA) and the Berks County High School Athletic Association (BCIAA), and abides by the adopted rules of each.
The eligibility requirements for athletic and extracurricular events are as follows:
• Prior to any student participating in practices, Inter-school practices, scrimmages, and/or contests, at any PIAA member school in any school year, the student is required to (1) complete a comprehensive initial pre-participation physical evaluation (Section 6 of the CIPPE packet); (2) have the appropriate person(s) complete the first six sections of the CIPPE form. Upon completion of Sections 1 and 2 by the parent/guardian; Sections 3, 4, and 5 by the student and parent/guardian; and Section 6 by an authorized medical examiner (AME), those sections must be turned in to the Athletic Office, of the student’s school for retention by the school. The CIPPE may not be completed earlier than June 1st and shall be effective, regardless of when performed during a school year, until the next May 31st .
• The school will offer physical examinations, at the school, as announced. If a student does not take the opportunity to have the exam completed at the school, he or she will be required to complete a physical exam at her/his own expense prior to participation in sports that year.
• All students must have a Code of Conduct / Eligibility Requirements form completed and signed by a parent/guardian before they may participate in any extracurricular activity. This form will be collected by the Athletic Director’s Office.
• If a student is involved in a school suspension, s/he will lose her/his right to participate (including practice) for the duration of the suspension. The suspension ends with the return to school following the last day of the suspension.
• A student cannot be failing more than one course on a weekly basis in order to maintain eligibility. Eligibility will resume on the Monday following the week of ineligibility.
• A principal may declare a student ineligible to participate in an extracurricular activity because of poor attendance, conduct, discipline, or academic performance.
• Each student must be in attendance at school prior to 10:06 in order to practice or participate in that day’s extracurricular activities.
• Participation in interscholastic sports is not an excuse to miss any class, including fitness/physical education. All athletes shall be required to dress and participate in all physical education classes.
• All students shall be transported to an off-school-site event via school district transportation, unless otherwise approved by the coach and Athletic Director. Students requesting to return from an off campus activity with a parent must have a signed parental/guardian request approved by the coach and Athletic Director.
For more information about eligibility please visit the PIAA Eligibility Rules page.