Spectators play an important part in our athletic program. Verbal and physical behaviors along with a general level of program support demonstrate the level and quality of sportsmanship in our community. AS per the PIAA, “The PIAA requires all registered sports’ officials to enforce the sportsmanship rules for coaches and contestants. Actions meant to demean opposing players, teams, spectators, and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated.”
Participants, coaches and spectators behaving inappropriately before, during, or after the game/activity may be required to leave the school property. The student code of conduct regarding all levels of infractions and consequential disciplinary action, as outlined in the student handbook, apply to all Kutztown Area High School students while on school property, representing the school, participating in a school-sponsored activity or traveling to and from such activities.
Berks County supports the PIAA and NFHS endeavors to support and encourage sporting behavior among all players, coaches, officials and spectators. Therefore, the Conference has adopted the following rules for spectator behavior:
1. The Berks County Interscholastic Athletic Association encourages spectators to cheer and support their respective teams in a positive manner. Spectators are asked to exhibit good sportsmanship at all times and refrain from cheering negatively against the opponents.
2. Abusive language, negative gestures or taunting directed towards players, coaches, officials, cheerleaders or spectators is prohibited.
3. Spectators are to remain in their seats. No prolonged standing is allowed.
4. Anyone under the influence of alcohol or drugs will not be admitted.
5. Game management will enforce school dress code when deemed necessary.
6. Sirens, towels, signs, banners, props, whistles, portable stereos or noisemakers are not permitted at games.
7. During basketball games, spectators behind the baskets are not to wave or distract foul-shooters.
8. Throwing foreign objects of any kind is prohibited.
9. Only cheerleaders or persons authorized to promote school spirit are permitted on the sidelines or playing surfaces.
10. At the end of games, spectators are not allowed on the playing surface.
11. Teams may not use or bring props that could be used as weapons. This does not include supplies or equipment inherent for the playing of the sport.
The following is the Official Stance of the PIAA on Sportsmanship and how it relates to spectators.
Sportsmanship is a core principle in interscholastic athletics. Actions which are unethical or intended to demean, embarrass, intimidate or injure opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are considered unsportsmanlike and will not be tolerated since they are contrary to the purposes of PIAA and convey lessons incompatible with the reason why high school sports exist.